We're off to trout fish. Rory's set with his Volkswagen sunglasses, Butter shirt, and new bracelet that Aunt Jenny made. It's going to be a red letter day. Beautiful Wisconsin weather too.
Along the way we see local art, the Minons in haybales.
We've finally arrived! Palymyra, Wisconsin home of Rushing Waters Trout Farm, where you can catch your own and have it served too. Here we go!
There's one main pond that we all fish from. Just look at all of the fish (and the cottonwood cotton).
Here's the pan-ram of the scene. On this day, there were visiting Vets who were practicing fly fishing. Everyone was thrilled with their catch.
Here, Grandpa Tom teaches Rory how to hook a worm. Once through, twice through. The first one Tom did.
Worm's on. Rory's taking it all in. We had red wiggler worms.
The second one was all Rory. The fish loved Rory's because he left a big long section to chomp without hook.
Grandpa Tom provides a bit of steadying of the worm.
And we're in! Rory's caught a fish. Grandma Bonnie and I capture the moment. Grandpa Tom wants to give it to Rory for a kiss.
Bonnie and I, surveying the progress. City Slickers - with our hats, glasses and cameras.
Then, once Rory had caught four fish, we headed back to the lodge. There they weighed them, 3.3 lbs, we paid by weight (the fishing's free) and sat down in the restaurant for them to cook 'em. Here's the finished product of pan fried trout, potato pancakes with apple sauce and perfectly prepared summer squash with chives and thyme. Rory even had a bite, and I also had my first trout ever. Very good, very fresh. What fun!
Here is Rory, post meal, smile on his face, quite pleased with catching lunch for us all. It was superb.
All that work earned Rory yet another Wisco shirt...
Then we headed back to Cambridge, taking in the farm scenery and clouds as we drove. I love being a passenger once we arrive in a town for a few days. It's so much more easeful, and safe, to take it all in.
On the way back, we pass through the town of Whitewater. Whitewater is the home of Kurt's alma mater, UW-Whitewater. Similar to all of Wisconsin's small towns, are amazing homes. See what I found in Whitewater:
What a treat. Speaking of treats, and luckily for us, Frosty Freeze was just a hop skip and a jump away in nearby Ft. Atkinson. We of course stopped for our usual shakes, strawberry, turtle, raspberry and chocolate malt, our second visit in two days.
Best soft serve ice cream so far that we've had in Wisconsin. Best prices ever.
We dropped Tom off back at the house and then toodled around the town of Cambridge. Sadly, I didn't think to take pictures here, so you must go on description only.
In Cambridge, there's a handful of stores that we like to visit. We kicked it off at the Scandinavian import store with loads of imported wine and liquor, candy and housewares, plus the traditional Norwegian flatbread, locally made lefse. Next we moved on to a new antique mall run by Rebekah of Famous Footwear cycling team fame, an old teammate of mine from my first American team. What a chance to run into her, as I hadn't seen her in over a dozen years. It was fun to catch up. I picked up a $15 seconds Rowe Pottery jug, made in Cambridge since 1975, for making kombucha (our first, a wedding present repurposed Rowe cookie jar that I recently cracked by turning on the electric burner underneath it - need more sleep incident). I was thrilled with the deal, and to see Rebekah, plus visit her awesome shop and the new garden store and local artisan's store.
Come to visit Cambridge!
What a day.
-Gretchan
No comments:
Post a Comment