Thursday, July 3, 2014

Day 1 and Day 2: Make-up work - Blockbuster edition.

Ok, where do I start, but from the beginning? Here's Rory and Kurt, loading my bag to the car from Portland. Rory's got his new hat and favorite shirt on, so this is going to be a red letter day for him.

We were waiting on a part for a window and lock, but it didn't show up, so we made quick tracks to get out of town. Who needs to fret when you're on vacation. "Just roll with it." is the major theme, and we're sticking to it.







It was a Tuesday about 7:30 am, and our first official shot from our road office. I-84 out of Portland.









We were finally on our way, headed North to Idaho. Rory was all comfy in the back, and I had to get serious about making some tracks through Washington. We had three states to get through and I hadn't driven this long since college. Here's a bit of what we saw:




Now I realize there are big gaps in the story, but this day was a challenge to stay awake on. Who knew that Kennewick to Spokane was so mesmerizingly desert-like, nearly inducing me into a dream state? I called Uncle, and we took a sandwich break in Connell's city park, swung on the swing, flipped a magazine and sat in the shade for a moment. What a brilliant idea, as it revived me for another 20 miles or so. Boy this was hard. Rory was good at instant sing-a-longs and this sure helped, along with the 1/2 gallon of SOMA's coffee kombucha I managed to squirrel into the cooler from Sunday's market. I was quite a site filling my thermos at the back the car with this brown bottle liquid in the BIG jug.


We rolled into Sandpoint about 5:00, and were swimming in Lake Pend Oreille (pictured above) by 6:00. Dinner and drinks, lakeside at 7:30, complete with dog Libby of the Forget (pronounced Forge-ay) crew, cousin Martha & Kurt, plus friends who had also arrived separately, and at the same time, by moto. Bed early, and early to rise and we'd departed for Billings, again by 7:30.
Thank you Page, for the photo capturing us all (sweet dog Maggie missing however) and the tent lend! Sandpoint was incredibly beautiful and easygoing. We must return for more. It was an amazing first stop. Thank you 







Day two of driving, brought beautiful state highway 200, dropping us into Missoula, adding Montana to our list of states, now at four. I couldn't have asked for anything better. I was refreshed and alive and ready to conquer the nearly 9 hours I had before me.


Once we joined up I-90, we were rolling under Montana's suggested car speed of 75 daylight, 70 dark, 65/60 for trucks. What an amazing array of drivers, none with aggression (save for Bozeman), all enjoying the ride, each passing without complication. Way to go Montana. I was an instant fan.


Missoula brought huckleberry ice cream cones at Big Dipper Ice Cream (I'm a magnet for ALL ice cream venues) and outdoor music by the river (this one only seen in passing from the bridge above).


After Missoula, we stopped at all of the B cities, with Butte the first. 100 miles prior I had seen a billboard for Montana's best used bookstore, Second Edition books and I couldn't resist. Easily found, as we headed up to the historic city center, it had a selection rivaling Portland's own, Powell's City of Books. We browsed, snacked on provided cookies, and took a wake-up break. I fell in love with the look of this old mining town, charmed by the old brick and wide western style streets.











We made a few more quick stops (see above), filled up the coffee kombucha thermos and we're off to our next B-town, Bozeman.


We arrived in Bozeman at near rush hour, but since each B-town offered a clear wake-up from the open road, it was critical to see each of them. We headed into the City Center, letting intuition be our guide. Luck sent us towards the highly recommended food Co-op (from tent lender Page) for a look see and a potty. This one was the smaller, downtown version, with the mega store, likely near the college. So close to finding it - but drats - not THE one! We mailed a postcard and returned to the highway. Nice looking town, lots of cars, missed the college because of traffic. Must return to redeem its name.


Keeping the car on the road was much easier on this day, so we set the cruise at 78 and moved onward to Billings, our final B-town of the day. The sun was softening, and Rory was napping, and I had hit my stride, with just over 900 miles behind us, as we pulled into Laurel, Montana, our second night of the trip. Bozeman would be discovered the next day at the Bozeman Water Park! I told you this would be a long post.


Auntie Kristin, Uncle Parker, Cousins Own and Liam, labs, Jake and Kirby, plus mounted moose -unnamed, greeted us with find accommodations and warm dinner. We slept well, and like I mentioned before, headed to the water park.




Owen, Rory and Liam - going to the water park. 


Liam smiles.


Rory smiles.


Nothing like a few $2 pretzels and nacho cheese. 


Cousin Liam and Aunt Kristin.


Kristin treated us to both Rory and my first water park experience. The weather was bright sun and nicely warm, with the friendliest kids and parents around. We had a blast on the orange slide and the green slide and the lazy river, the babes beach and an active game of volleyball. With Kristin as snack provider we were treated to the best. Hot pretzels with jalapeno cheese, topped off the meal. 

On the way home we stopped to get ready for tomorrow's 4th of July. 


Owen's got his, and Rory's still contemplating.


What to buy? What to buy?


Decided!


Nothing better than cousins and a roadside stand of fireworks. Bring it on. 

-Gretchan







3 comments:

  1. Fun! I love Missoula! I've been to Big Dipper Ice Cream. The black licorice with rainbow sprinkles was recommended. So, I had some. No regrets.
    I too, love Montana drivers. The ease and confidence of their driving style should inspire everyone. I wish it would! And, soon... I felt right at home driving there, like I'd found my people.
    Have fun out there! Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sis & Rory! I am glad to see your both having a good time. And Rory was I shocked to see your haircut. I spent the night at the severe mosquito infested ranch, getting grandmere / mom ready for the windows installation. I have a feeling the job will not be as good we think it will be because of the pests and the workers not heeding the protection reminder. We both went out to Lake Shawnee last night for the fireworks, and was in surprise of a story I will share.

    G let me know how things are going and about my arrangement later. Grandmere / Mom and Topeka is looking forward to seeing you.

    Love, Uncle Eli / The Bro

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Kristin from Frank's account...love road tripping through Montana! The scenery, wide open space, easy driving. We've driven across MT multiple times on trips to/from MN or IA. Pit stops for us included Deer Lodge, Glendive, Havre (up north on Hwy 2 called the "High Line"), Flathead Lake, Clark Fork River. Also a favorite camping spot has been Buffalo Gap just over the border in ND near the National Grasslands (also a fascinating place with its flora, fauna and history incl Teddy Roosevelt). We stumbled upon a road house down a dirt road past the official campground. Looks like the road is heading to nowhere, then you come upon this old-fashioned wooden road house/motel where they let us pitch our tent. Had giant steaks they threw on an outdoor grill with locally brewed beer believe it or not. Dogs sat with us on the outdoor patio. Then suddenly a bus full of people pulls up, everyone unloads, starts eating steak & dancing to a country band! Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete